Monday, March 11, 2013

Lenten Reflections: Withdrawl


"Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. “I don’t even know the man,” he said."

Matthew 26:72

Fear = Withdrawal  

Peter withdrew when anxiety level peaked. Hiding in the shadows of a cold and dark courtyard, he protected his ass before Jesus even had the chance to defend His. He reacted. He withdrew.



One

Two

Three

Run!

Isolated. Alone. Afraid. Peter stood on the outskirts, weeping at his own cowardice. What could bring him back to himself again? What could ever bring redemption? 

"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

"Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you."

"Put your sword back in it's place, Peter! You've got bigger battles to fight, and they're not against any man!"

We love our weapons. Our confidence soars when we've got a powerful armament. But when left nothing but ourselves, our instincts leave us vulnerable and in panic.We look out for number one because we believe that without a weapon, we can never stand to defend number two.  Sometimes Christ just calls us to stand.

"Yes, I know Him! He's my friend! He's my Lord! And if I could make my way through that gate, I'd be standing at His side. I'll die if I have to!"

Don't be so quick to judge Peter. He's a soldier and a coward. He's a CEO and he's homeless. He's a cop and a thief. He's a freedom fighter and he's a terrorist. A saint. A sinner. He's you. He's me.

Lord, just as Peter withdrew, we withdraw as well. When we feel our hearts race with panic, we run. We withdraw from You. We withdraw from ourselves and our relationships. Call us back, Lord. Let the rooster crow. Engage us that we may be engaged with You. Amen

 





No comments: