Sunday, February 28, 2021

Lenten Reflections: Here


 "And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” - Matthew 28:20

"I'll be with you. I'll be HERE." 

Promises.

"I'll be right HERE."

"I promise to never leave you."

"I promise to stay HERE until it's over."

"I promise to get you through this."

"I promise to be HERE when you get back." 

"I'm HERE."
HERE
 
We make a lot of promises in our lives. We keep some and others we break. We promise to be HERE.

I Promise.

Promising to be HERE for one another is one of the most difficult of all promises, because the ego often gets in the way. We begin with the best of intentions, but life, and the false self, have the tendency to pull us in different directions; away from HERE. 

Selfishness takes control and before we know it, we're not HERE any longer. We end up THERE; alone, isolated and consumed by guilt for leaving the one to whom the promise was made. Even if we physically stay connected, we can leave emotionally or spiritually. We're here, but not HERE. 

The promise that Jesus made in Matthew 28:20 is the only promise to be HERE that has ever been kept.

He's HERE.  

The Christ nature dwelling within us all.  

There is a duality of Lent. Through our journey, we rest in knowing that God is HERE. He has been, he is and he will be. But we lament that we are not always HERE for one another. As we face the isolation of a global pandemic, being HERE for one another has become that much more difficult and complex. But perhaps this illuminates the truths of Lent with even more clarity. While Christ no longer dwells the earth in physical form, he still remains HERE. Within the spiritual realms. Within each one of us. Does that not reveal a much deeper dimension of being HERE?

In this time of isolation and solitude, let us be reminded that being HERE does not always manifest itself in the physical, but the spiritual. In fact, as with the presence of Christ, our spiritual connections can be much deeper. We're on this journey together; physically, emotionally and spiritually. However we connect with one another, let us commit to be HERE for one another.

I'll do my best. You'll do yours. 

But let's face it: You'll leave from time to time, and I will as well. 

Occasionally you won't be HERE. 

From time to time, I won't be HERE.  I'll leave. I'll let you down.

I promise.

Lord, we do our best to be HERE for one another, but selfishness often gets in the way. Life gets in the way. Help us to be as committed to one another as You have been to us. Amen  

No comments: